[rescue] Slightly OT: Bad Cap Saga

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 17 16:42:10 CDT 2008

>From: Brian Deloria <bdeloria at gmail.com>
>Date: 2008/08/17 Sun PM 03:08:14 EDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Slightly OT: Bad Cap Saga

>The rash of bad caps a few years back would fail within months of use.
> It was a short period of time before it was discovered and corrected.
>
>Amusingly enough a local college I had worked at had purchased around
>1000 desktops that the motherboards were affected.  The VP/bean
>counters wisdom decided not to opt for first year onsite as they had
>in the past but instead go simply depot for the duration.  This took
>months to rectify.

At $WORK we have a stack of *about* 100 Dell GX240-era machines (pretty decent P4 machines with a single on-board SATA connector) lying in wait for similar models to die with bad capacitors around campus. I wonder if the ones sitting idle are just as likely to fail as are simialr machines in-service?

Lionel