[rescue] Apple 2GB Quantum Fireball ST SCSI HD

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Wed Aug 6 19:17:31 CDT 2008

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Curious George wrote:

> Are these ["little drives" something] that I should be "putting
> aside" in the future?

    Actually, yes.  As we "progress" farther and farther into the
future, the technology that will allow us to keep our "elder
hardware" alive will become increasingly rare -- and it's not a
technology that we can either fabricate or fake.  So, for the
owners of, say, MicroVAXen (which have a disk-drive size limit
of one gig due to firmware issues) tiny drives are a critical
asset to have in the "spares bin".

    Personally, I have a decent stash of 2.1 Gb and below drives
to keep some of my older stuff going -- mainly my Intergraph
gear -- and have had to dip into it from time to time.  Yes,
eventually it'll become depleted, and after that I'll have
"static exhibits", but until then, the gear will run as it
was intended to.

> <sorry>

    Don't apologise.  That was a legitimate question.