[rescue] Gigabit Ethernet SBus & Gigabit Ethernet Sun 420R/220R

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Fri Apr 25 09:37:46 CDT 2008

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> I get the same kind of numbers on the same model switch.  Maybe the
> switch just sucks.  I should check if there's a firmware upgrade
> available for it.

On an almost-related note, at some point in the past, I had discussed on
this list (with Sridhar?) the possibility of using a WS-X5410 9 port
gigabit module with WS-G5483 1000baseT GBICs in a cisco catalyst  5000.
Even though cisco documentation says that the copper GBICs will not
work, they do work just fine.  CatOS sees all ports, and shows the ports
with the copper GBICS as 1000baseT.

There are a couple of limitations in my setup, however.  Since the
catalyst 5000 only has a 1.3Gbps backplane, performance between the FDDI
and 10/100 ethernet portions of the network could be limited.  This is
not a problem for me since we're talking about my home network with only
a handful of hosts.  Due to an ASIC limitation, the WS-X5410 cannot use
jumbo frames, which sucks.  Had i known that, i probably would have
opted for getting a couple of the 3 port modules, and living with the
backplane limitation between the two modules, or finding  a 5500 chassis
to move everything to.

    -Dan Sikorski