[rescue] Filesystem choice for fileserver?

Fri Apr 18 09:10:29 CDT 2008

>> A lot of hardware RAID cards have horribly slow processors on them.
> [..."hardware RAID"...]

Does anyone actually do hardware RAID?  I've never seen any.  All the
supposedly-hardware RAID I've seen is actually software RAID running on
a dedicated processor (what would more honestly be called firmware
RAID).  Usually it doesn't even try to hide that - for example, I've
seen POST-time messages like "booting controller kernel".

Have I missed something?  Is there anyone who actually does RAID in
hardware?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca