[rescue] Filesystem choice for fileserver?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Apr 18 08:34:41 CDT 2008

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Peter Corlett wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 09:07:29AM +0100, Michael-John Turner wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Agree with you on this one. In addition, the ability to be able to just
>>> pop the disks into a replacement machine running the same OS, as you can
>>> with software RAID, is a huge advantage. With hardware RAID, you'd
>>> need to
>>> find the same model of controller, etc.
>>
>> When I last bought a hardware RAID card, I bought *two* and then
>> swapped the
>> spare card in after building the array to see if it was still readable.
>>
>> ... and then it turned out that Linux software RAID was faster anyway.
>
> A lot of hardware RAID cards have horribly slow processors on them.

Oops ...  premature sendage.

What I meant to say was that the big win of *good* hardware RAID is
that, as long as the manufacturer did the job properly, the host OS
doesn't have to be up for you to rebuild or reconfigure the array (or to
configure it in the first place).

   alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.