[rescue] Filesystem choice for fileserver?

Jonathan Guthrie jguthrie at brokersys.com
Thu Apr 17 20:24:36 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:26:50PM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:09:14PM +0100, Michael-John Turner wrote:
> > I'm very keen on XFS, what with its solid SGI heritage, but I've read a
> > few horror stories of people who've lost data using it.

> I played with that too. What I discovered was that while it was good at
> keeping metadata consistent, this didn't apply to the data. Finding
> /etc/fstab full of NULs after an unplanned powercycle can ruin one's day.

I have lost data in XFS files systems, but that hasn't happened to me
in a decade, and I'm not particularly careful about powercycling.  I
use XFS exclusively for those filesystems that are going to be shared
out remotely because I can extend XFS filesystems without umounting
the disks.  So, my file services all come from XFS build on LVM lv's.
Run out of space on /home?   Well, then, I do an "lvextend" and a
xfs_growfs and the problem has gone away.
--
Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie at brokersys.com)
Sto pro veritate