[rescue] Filesystem choice for fileserver?

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 06:38:12 CDT 2008

> I'm very keen on XFS, what with its solid SGI heritage, but I've read a
> few horror stories of people who've lost data using it.

And I've heard horror stories about NTFS, ext3, reiserfs, but I've
never had issues with those either. I've used XFS a fair amount and I
love it. Rock solid and blazing fast. However, allot of GRUBs don't
support it, so make your OS partition ext3 and XFS on the data drives.

XFS really excells with large files. Here you'll find its performance
to be way faster than ext3 and maybe even faster than reiserfs.

Of course all this comes from a self proclaimed SGI addict, so take it
as you will.

Timothy

--
Two wrights don't make a rong, they make an airplane. Or bicycles.