[rescue] Domain name registrars?

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Wed Apr 16 16:55:07 CDT 2008

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Peter Corlett wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:43:50AM -0500, Scott Newell wrote:
>>> Who do y'all like to use these days?
>>
>> Since nobody else has mentioned them yet, I register my .com/.net/.org
>> through Joker.
>>
>> But AFAICS, there's nothing that actually differentiates registrars except
>> the price.
>
> Their terms do vary, and their service definitely does.

and in addition to service, the policies of how they actually handle a
domain name dispute varies (even though ICANN has a so-called uniform
dispute resolution policy at the current time).   we have lived thru a
very unpleasant experience with Network Solutions where they revised the
rules three times during the dispute and of course have the provisions
that if you continue to use the domain name you agree to any changes in
the rules as soon as they publish them on their web site.

Gandi (and perhaps others) are bound by the ICANN rules but have worked
to help the domain holders retain their rights so far as they can.

-ron