[rescue] E250 temperatures

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Apr 16 15:41:03 CDT 2008

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Robert Darlington wrote:

> I'd have to start asking why a system built in the last decade would
> take any more than a few minutes to POST.  What could the system
> possibly be doing that takes that kind of time?

It's a full-system checkout, along the lines of what a field engineer
would run to re-certify a system.  This means different bit-patterns
through cache and real memories, bus checkouts, adapter checkouts, etc.

I have it on good authority that many largish IBM systems have more
code in their firmware to do diagnostics than there is total code (in
terms of instruction count) in the operating system kernel.

The idea is that if the system comes up, it's going to -stay- up because
it was all-but-recertified at last power-on.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is no such thing as a short of reserves...
Elgin, TX         |  one bank can have a problem...the Fed can print