[rescue] E250 temperatures

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 20:30:48 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> I just noticed that the thermal error light was lit on my e250 running
> solaris 10.  A quick login, and prtdiag shows:
> System Temperatures (Celsius):
> ------------------------------
>      CPU0    64    WARNING
>      CPU1    47
>       MB0    41
>       MB1    31
>       PDB    35
>      SCSI    29
>

> Yet, the fans still aren't full speed:
> Fan Bank :
> ----------
>
> Bank      Speed     Status
>         (0-255)
> ----      -----     ------
>  SYS       219        OK
>

> What is the real danger region for the E250, and will the light turn off
> on its own if the temp goes down?
>
> Also, does anyone know any tricks to make it balance the thermal load
> between the two CPUs better?
>
> Any other tricks?  I would venture to say that the area where the E250
> sits is still generally under 70 degrees.  The e250 is near the bottom
> of a short rack that doesn't actually have all that much running in it.
> Below the e250 is a smartups 1400.  The only things running above it are
> a SS20, a GigE switch, and a FastE switch (the FC array, T1, and Compaq
> DL360 are off).  On top of the rack is a Ultra 5, and a few feet away is
> an Ultra 80, which doesn't seem to have the same sort of monitoring on
> it.  I may have to get a remote device to monitor the area...
>
> Also, does anyone know if 280rs happen to run cooler?

Concerning the CPUs: each cpu slot has it own temperature range.  The range
may be similar or dissimiliar.  The temperature range is dependent on the
CPU itself, the airflow over the CPU.  The closeness of power supplies, hard
drives, cards, etc. effect the acceptable temperature of any specific CPU.
All this to say, you can't balance the thermal load of a CPU in that vintage
Sun server.

>From my understanding the UPS unit generate heat that will effect the
surrounding equipment.
If a device sits on top of the 250 (that is, no air gap), it may cause
heating issues.  (We once had a shorty rack with a v120 and a 19" switch
sitting on top of the server [no air gap but the switch was only half the
depth of the v120] and the v120 would crash every few days.  We moved the
v120 down 1U in the rack and the crashes stopped.]

I would suggest that you add fans to the rack if possible and provide air
gaps if feasible.