[rescue] Sunshack and Sun stuff to giveaway

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 30 13:34:58 CDT 2007

On Oct 29, 2007, at 6:23 PM, der Mouse wrote:

>>> Do they?  I certainly haven't noticed them in any non-sparc64
>>> version,
> though admittedly I haven't tried that particular test.
>
> [test]
>
> Hmm, yes, it appears alpha suffers from a very similar bug.  Ugh.
> Thanks for prodding me into discovering that.  I should probably turn
> the report into a toolchain PR.

Isn't it amazing how much people trust compilers?

I had the most problems, at least recently, with early 4.x
compilers.  They were doing all kinds of things wrong.

It's really kind of scary because it is hard to verify compilers, few
companies offer it as a service, and it can have severe impact on
everything it touches.

The commercial compilers that seem to be well policed are expensive
and not widely available.

It would be nice if this situation could be changed, but it has been
a long time now and that still hasn't happened.

Seems the few companies that tried didn't fare too well.