[rescue] FFS: SCSI cable & 3Com LAN Modem

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Mon Oct 29 03:12:49 CDT 2007

der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> wrote:
> (DB25 SCSI does exist, perhaps most notably on some models of Macintosh,
> but it never worked all that well - it requires lumping all, or almost
> all, the grounds together, which plays hob with the nice
> transmission-line characteristics of SCSI as designed.  Not
> recommended.)

Another application that comes to mind are the ISA SCSI HBAs that came with some HP ScanJet scanners. I think those even stated in the manual that they weren't recommended for hooking up anything else besides or instead of the scanner.

Be aware that there is a difference in pinout - I found that out when I used a cable that was probably intended for Mac usage to hook up an HP scanner. It wouldn't work and the overcurrent protection device on the HBA got hot as long as the cable was attached - even when not connected to the scanner itself.

So long,
--
Arno Kletzander