[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 59, Issue 26

Earl D. Baugh Jr. earl at baugh.org
Thu Oct 25 13:13:07 CDT 2007

>> I am wondering if you can build an inverse adapter for Sun 4 and 5
>> keyboards to allow them to work on a Sun 3 kbd machine.
>
> Yes.  The keyboards are identical in terms of signal levels and
> first-level protocol (1200-baud RS232 bit trains, except using TTL
> signal levels instead of RS232 signal levels).  There are differences,
> but they are relatively subtle - for example, the response to a
> keyboard reset command can differ.
>
> Sun even sold an adapter for using "new" (miniDIN-8) keyboards on
> "old"
> (DA15) machines, though if you're not afraid of soldering and have a
> miniDIN-8-to-miniDIN-8 cable that carries all 8 wires to cut in
> two, it
> borders on trivial to build your own.  (I've seen the Sun adapter, but
> have little use for it, since I want to use type-3 keyboards on
> miniDIN-8 machines, and Sun's adapter goes the other way.)  See
> ftp.rodents.montreal.qc.ca:/mouse/misc/sun-kbd-cable.txt and .ps for
> more.
>
> /~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
> \ / Ribbon Campaign
>  X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca
> / \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

Do you happen to have a part number, or a pointer to where I might
get a couple of these?  I don't have any spare miniDIN-8 and DA15
connectors, so I'd have to buy both... and it probably would be less
hassle to pick up 2 if they're not ridiculously expensive.

T = $ as they showed in that old Far Side... (Einstein proving Time =
$ 8-) )

Earl