[rescue] Old PSUs & boards: useful to teach self?

Tue Oct 23 12:58:50 CDT 2007

> The flip side of that, however, is that unless you actually work on
> the things you'll never get the experience of what precisely to stay
> away from in a safety sense.

Well, to a point.  For exmaple, I've never actually experienced the
sort of problem that "energy hazard" implicitly refers to - things like
a ring getting spot-welded to terminals and turning red-hot on my
finger - but that doesn't mean I don't understand the hazard enough to
make damn sure I'm not wearing metal when working around anything
capable of that sort of thing!

I did, however, once use alligator clip leads to build a voltage
multiplier driven off mains voltage with caps of some .475F, building
up something like 700V.  Then I neglected to discharge a cap when
removing it.  Then I picked it up carelessly. :-)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca