[rescue] Never thought I'd ask this

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Oct 22 15:44:01 CDT 2007

On Oct 22, 2007, at 3:49 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> When I last used FreeBSD as my desktop at work (that was, right up
> until
> I got tired of the whine of that Dell's fan and brought a Mac from
> home), I had a window manager that whose source was less than 16
> kilobytes.  The developer[0] has a goal of getting it down to 10k.

There is/was wm2, which was relatively tiny, also.

> Furthermore, I don't understand how the entire desktop[2] environment
> can follow the same design principle (do less, look arguably prettier)
> and gain real traction.  It's not like the file manager is as good as

I sometimes wonder if the guy behind GNOME, Mono, etc. isn't a
brilliant programmer turned into a brilliant piece of misdirection
funded by Microsoft.

> I mean -come on-, even Microsoft does themes better!  How does this
> GNOME crap hold onto a userbase?

Better question:  people dumped the NeXT-themed AfterStep wm for this?

Imagine if all that time and pain had been dumped into the GNUStep
project.  We'd be cross-compiling with Xcode by now.

--Patrick