[rescue] Never thought I'd ask this

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Mon Oct 22 10:13:07 CDT 2007

> I'm tearing my hair out trying to find an OS that works
> properly on this Thinkpad i1300.  2K Pro doesn't have a graphics
> chipset driver that works.

Have you tried downloading the appropriate driver from IBM's site?  This
one in particular:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-4PEQAM&velxr-layout=printLenovo

Don't expect Windows to provide you with the appropriate drivers for your
machine, and don't expect the drivers provided in Windows Update to be the
right or best ones either.

In general, every other month for my personal Windows machine (servers at
work I take a more "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality) I check
for the latest (motheboard) chipset drivers, graphics drivers, sound
drivers, networking drivers, and DirectX runtime (MS just changed from
updating the DirectX runtime every other month to every quarter though).
I go direct to the chip manufacturer's sites (rather than the
computer/motherboard maker) in a lot of instances as well, because often
computer/motherboard makers don't keep the latest versions of released
drivers on their sites.

- Nate