[rescue] Never thought I'd ask this

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Mon Oct 22 09:14:31 CDT 2007

The steam powered teletype chattered and a message from Phil Stracchino
rolled out in a wad of paper tape...
> Chad McAuley wrote:
>> If you don't mind leaving all the stuff that comprises the
>> Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu desktops installed, you could install one of
>> those for the base system and then install whatever GUI environment
>> you want.  Actually, you should also be able to do a Ubuntu server
>> install to get the base system loaded and then install X and
>> everything else you want from there.  You'd probably also want to
>> install the standard linux-image-386 kernel; some quick googling shows
>> that the kernel installed by Ubuntu server has been tweaked to make it
>> more suitable to "server" workloads.
>
> ......Bah.  Can't do it.  The Ubuntu installer CD requires 320MB RAM.
> This POS is maxed out at 192MB.  That looks to be just barely enough for
> xubuntu though.

WTF Ubuntu installer are you using?  I've installed Ubuntu in 128M of ram
- I have the server version running on a C333 Compaq desktop under that
ceiling.

Mike Hebel
----
See with eyes unclouded, Think with mind uncluttered, Act with heart
unchained!