[rescue] Never thought I'd ask this

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 08:55:35 CDT 2007

On 10/22/07, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Yeah, I'm thinking about trying a BSD.  I haven't tried Ubuntu so far
> because, as I understand it, I basically have the choice of Ubuntu and
> any desktop I like so long as I like Gnome, or Kubuntu and any desktop I
> like so long as I like KDE, or Xubuntu and any desktop I like so long as
> I like XFCE.  (I detest all three.)

If you don't mind leaving all the stuff that comprises the
Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu desktops installed, you could install one of
those for the base system and then install whatever GUI environment
you want.  Actually, you should also be able to do a Ubuntu server
install to get the base system loaded and then install X and
everything else you want from there.  You'd probably also want to
install the standard linux-image-386 kernel; some quick googling shows
that the kernel installed by Ubuntu server has been tweaked to make it
more suitable to "server" workloads.