[rescue] Hard disk lifespans in Sun gear

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Oct 18 12:21:14 CDT 2007

>From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
>Date: 2007/10/18 Thu AM 11:22:00 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Hard disk lifespans in Sun gear

>On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 10:56:48AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> As the self-proclaimed Ultra 2 "expert" on the list (anyone that
>> disagrees will get one of my 10 or so Ultra 2 "shelf queens" thrown at
>> them ;^)
>
>AHA!  A CHALLENGE!
>
>http://www.mrbill.net/office/after/IMG_0060.jpg
>
>That's the ones I *didnt* throw away or scavenge parts out of.  I think
>when we moved out of that office in Austin I gave away 17 Ultra2 systems to
>rescue folk.
>
>I had six of seven of them piled up here in my Houston office about a
>year ago until I finally made myself strip the good parts out and toss
>those chassis.

Picture to follow, I gave away a stack of Ultra 2s, kept a stack of Ultra 2s, and found a handfull more in the basement (with my box full of Creators (vertical and horizontal) and hard drives - I "lost" them 2 1/2 years ago in a move...

I think my photo shows atleast 20 Ultra 2 chassis (I'd make it available, but the computer I'm on can't download from my memory card from my phone)...

Lionel