[rescue] Hard disk lifespans in Sun gear

Brock Johnson wildefire at brotay.net
Thu Oct 18 08:46:08 CDT 2007

The controller board on the drive failed. I see it fairly regularly on
the older Seagate drives, the old 4g FWD drives they use in HP 9K
equipment (the Chrome Domes) are notorious around here for doing it, and
I've seen a few on the FC model of that particular 9g drive. If you're
feeling clever and don't want to go through all the hoops to replace it
again, you can try moving the controller board from a working ST39173WC
onto that drive. That's usually worked for me, YMMV however.

-Brock