[rescue] what the heck is it

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Mon Oct 15 16:18:11 CDT 2007

I 'rescued' a unique piece of computer equipment...

Here is the data:

Raytheon
RDS-201E (on badge on front/top)
P/N G246101-3010 (from badge on rear)
Model VT302 (from badge on rear)

This has 2 5.25" full height floppy drives (like the original IBM PC)
likely Tandon mechs ?

Has a 'built in' (more like 'built on') screen.

Has switches for 10 pitch/12 pitch
1/1.5/2 spacing and another I forget
(they are on the monitor piece).

I don't have a floppy.  Ports on the back look like possibly a printer port
and the other likes similar like a short printer end centronics interface.

So... internet searches have turned up nada....

So.... what the heck is it ?

Is it a computer ?  Is it some sort of terminal ?

I have no media for it... so if it is a computer, I'm doubtful I'll turn
up anything for it.  Same goes for the keyboard.

It is a unique looking enclosure though... very very retro

Help me identify what this is, and what I should do with it
(if a computer and I can get media, will probably at least play
with it, then if no interest find a new owner for it... if some sort
of wacked out terminal... if there is no interest, I'm going to
yank the drives and anything else useful and scrap it, or if
feasable... maybe use it as a 'case mod' for a PC (I usually
loath this... but got to admit, this would make a highly unique
PC :-) ).

-- Curt