[rescue] pSeries 660 6H1 Questions (7026-6H1)

brian wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Sat Oct 13 17:48:12 CDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 14:27 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, Andrew Weiss wrote:
>
> > Ouch... this is good to know.  I was under the impression that the
> > machine was good to go all by itself and was thinking of replacing my
> > B80 with one of those from the basement at work (retired systems).  I
> > was all set to grab one Monday.  I was hoping to just run it and an
> > SSA shelf.  So I'd need 8U (two boxes) to do that?

I think its actually 10U. :)

> Yes, you need both halves.  Bear in mind that it's been two years since
> I did any maintenance on one but, IIRC, the CEC doesn't have any
> external I/O at all--its just the RS64 processor complex, memory cards,
> service processor, and interface to the I/O drawer.  The I/O drawer has
> all the PCI slots, console ports, etc.  I -think- the half with the
> power button and operator's console is actually the primary I/O drawer.
> My recollection of the CEC is that it's a completely nondescript box
> with nothing other than an ID plate on the bezel, two power cables, and
> two boa-cables out the back.

Yes, the power switch is on the I/O drawer.  As are all of the ports
like serial and ethernet.  And as someone mentioned previously, the I/O
drawer only has space for 2 non-hot-swap drives.

I was digging around ours at work a couple of weeks ago, so its all
disturbingly fresh in my mind :)

Brian