[rescue] Testing ext. CD-ROM, how to boot?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 10 20:25:00 CDT 2007

Hello all,

A fellow list member asked me for a CD-ROM drive (only), and I have one I can send, but I need to test it first. Since it is not internally connected in any machine, I need to specify some strange voodoo to get it to work, and I am at a loss...

I found a site[0] with a description of how to boot off an external drive, but it doesn't seem to work. The command I tried was:

(at the OK prompt)
boot /pci at 1f,0/pci at 1/scsi at 1,1/sd at 6,0:f

The system responds that it could not open device.

This is on one of the AXi-like systems I dug up the other day (they have no internal CD-ROM drive, and a second SCSI chain off the back of the server, so that is where I attached it).

Any help would be great (including pointers into Sun Doc.)

Thanks,

Lionel

[0] http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Miscellaneous_Solaris_notes.html
(towards the bottom of the document)