[rescue] Apple G4 chassis rebuild

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed Oct 10 13:16:39 CDT 2007

> I have another G4 466 system to compare with, and the PS looks to be
> pretty standard, but I guess a stanrd PC supply won't work. Anyway, any
> sources for suitable power supplies for less than $75?

Eh the power supply is only non-standard in it's pinouts and it's use of
+24V standby power, which is for ADC and supplying Firewire bus power to
external devices during sleep.

So, if you have the tools and the time (about 30 minutes), you can do what
I did and take two ATX 24-pin extenders or a 24-pin to 20-pin and a 20-pin
to 24-pin (cost about $2.50 each online), unwire the ends, and wire up an
adapter that goes 24-pin to 22-pin (the extra 2 pins you leave empty and
they hang over the motherboard connector but it's not a problem) and use
+5V standby power in place of the +24V standby power and just don't use
ADC or Firewire bus power during sleep (not a problem for me).

This will give you a basic idea of what you'll need to do:

http://www.outofspec.com/frankenmac/wire.shtml

Let me know if you need more info.

- Nate