[rescue] Sun 911 case (4x 50 pin SCSI case)

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 12:52:25 CDT 2007

--- Steve Sandau <ssandau at gwi.net> wrote:

> >> Anyone here interested in a Sun 911 case? It
> takes 4
> >> narrow SCSI drives and is about the size of a Sun
> >> IPC/LX "lunchbox" machine. The case is complete
> and
> >> in good condition, inside and out (includes metal
> >> bracket to hold drive, 4x power leads and 4x SCSI
> >
> > Note, there is a metal *cage* to hold the 4
> drives;
> > plus, four small brackets -- one for each *drive*!
> > And, the internal power and scsi harness.
>
> I never got any brackets. I don't see where I'd need
> them, either, but...

IIRC, the brackets mount to the underside of each
drive.  Then, one end of the bracket slides into a
"slot" in the "cage".  Then, it is fastened in
place.

I can't recall if the screws that fasten each drive
go into the sides of the drives or not.  Probably
do (?).  In any case, the bracket helps ensure the
drive is held in place since one side of each drive
is inaccessible so any screws would only secure the
"outer" side of the drive to the cage.

> It's a useful thing especially if you want to try
> SVM on a few small
> drives. I used mine to learn about SVM (DiskSuite in
> those days) with
> four 250M drives in it.

I had four 4G drives in one but found they ran far
too hot for the case's ventilation.