[rescue] Sun systems

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Oct 10 10:46:47 CDT 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> One other thing to keep in mind, the Ultra 2 uses "only" 350 watts of
> power, and in these days of killowatt PCs, that "almost" low-power...

That's certainly one way of looking at it, but the four-core Mac on my
desk with a kilowatt power supply, actually pulls about 200W at a
constant draw, and that's with four 750GB disks.  The 8-core PC I've
built to replace all my Suns has a 750W power supply, but only pulls
about 300W (with six disks).

Though, there exist graphics cards that pull more power than my entire
desktop computer, and plenty of "enthusiasts" that are convinced that
they need two of them to drive 300000000000fps at their 60fps eyeballs.
That's about the only way a person could get a rig greedy enough to pull
anything approaching a kilowatt[0].

You can get an insane amount of computing power per watt these days if
you don't play video games, don't need 15kRPM disks, and can tolerate
IA32 crap.

[0] Or run a loaded E3000 like I am until I finish the migration.
--
Jonathan Patschke     )  "So far, 99% of illegal activity has been caused
Elgin, TX            (    by criminals."