[rescue] Sun systems

Jack Delany jjdelany at daylight.com
Wed Oct 10 08:44:32 CDT 2007

> The talk about the Ultra-2s made me think of mine.
>
> I have (in the 64-bit Sun category) currently one Ultra-2 2x200/1.5GB ,
> one Ultra 10 440MHz 1GB+SCSI, and one E3000 (currently 2x250 and 256MB,
> but  might be getting some 400MHz boards from Pat).
>
> Is the Ultra-2 likely worth messing with at all? As far as I see, the
> main handicaps would be memory speed and SCSI, and I'm trying to decide
> whether to mothball it, pass it on, or bump it up to something like
> 2x300. The big advantage over the E3k is the Ultra-2 has a Creator3d
> whereas the E3k has only TGX (which I must confess I have yet to use).
> My U10 also has Creator3D.

I also like the U2.  Loaded up with memory as yours is it's a
very capable machine in a nice form-factor (compared to the e3k ;)).

BTW, I have a spare pair of 300's for cost of shipping.
Also I have a few E3000 boards that I inherited (fiber
controllers, I/O, blanks, I think). The E3000 boards are very
close to going in the dumpster so if you (or anyone else) are
interested I can inventory them and send you a list.

Jack D.
Daylight Chemical Information Systems, Inc.   |  Jack Delany
441 Greg Ave.                                 |  505-989-1000 x205
Santa Fe, New Mexico  87501                   |  505-989-1200 (fax)
http://www.daylight.com/                      |  jjdelany at daylight.com