[rescue] Sun systems

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Oct 10 02:56:43 CDT 2007

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 21:39:59 -0700
Scott Quinn <compoobah at valleyimplants.com> wrote:

> Is the Ultra-2 likely worth messing with at all? As far as I see, the
> main handicaps would be memory speed and SCSI,
Recently I run some compiles on a U2 (1x300MHz) and a U5 (300MHz). The
U2 was significantly faster. IIRC about 20..30%! The U2 has bigger
caches then the U5/U10 and _faster_ memory. Keep in mind that the U2
uses a memory bus twice as wide as the U5/U10.

SCSI is an issue. But as long as you don't do many disk intensive tasks
it will be a minor issue. And: Newer disks utilizing U2W SCSI may get
higher raw speed. But latency (head positioning etc.) is about as high
as on old disks / Wide SCSI. If your load is disk intensive and requires
lots of head seeks it will not benefit much of U2W SCSI.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen