[rescue] Help with an ailing Sun QIC 150 tape drive

Kurt Nowak knowak at alumni.calpoly.edu
Tue Oct 9 00:25:59 CDT 2007

Hi all,

I recently had a need to break out my Sun Archive QIC-150 tape drive
(Sun P/N 370-1218-04) to read some old archives, and had the misfortune
of discovering that the pinch roller has turned to a sticky black goo!
Anyone else ever had this problem? Ive been reading up on this
phenomenon and apparently its not so uncommon on older equipment. Is
there anyone out there who still has a working one or these? If so and
you own a pair over vernier calipers, could you be so kind and measure
the outside diameter of the rubber pinch roller? I found a guy on line
who rebuilds these rollers with a superior rubber compound.
Thanks in advance!!
Kurt