[rescue] value of U10 frame buffer card?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 3 06:47:06 CDT 2007

>From: James Hartley <jjhartley at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/10/02 Tue PM 10:41:31 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] value of U10 frame buffer card?

>On 10/2/07, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
>> On a related note, taking a U10 w/440 MHz CPU, 1 Gig of RAM, a SCSI HD and a
>> UPA framebuffer (like you have) can make a pretty nice desktop...
>
>Does a SCSI hard drive make that much difference over an IDE drive?
>
>Thanks for all the replies.

The on-board IDE controller is quite slow, and yes, SCSI does make a big difference. If you can find (for $0) either the SCSI HD or the controller and only have to buy the other, then it is a definite upgrade to consider. If you have to buy both, think about how important the performance is for you.

IDE is usable, and what is nice is that you can get soemwhat reasonable performance and storage by dropping a brand new 120 Gig HD in an Ultra 5 or 10 for as little as $30-40 on sale. I have an Ultra 5 set up as an install server, and the 120 Gig HD means I can keep lots and lots of Solaris images on the machine without ever having to think about disk space.

Lionel