[rescue] rescuing an ailing U10...

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Tue Oct 2 15:22:10 CDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 12:44:00PM -0400, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> "sformat" has always worked for me to convert ex-EMC and ex-MTI non-512
> byte sector disks to 512 byte sectors.  Actually, IBM firmware disks
> may have come from an AS/400, which IIRC uses 520 byte sectors.  That
> may have been the problem with the disks the first guy was talking
> about...

I've also had good luck using sformat to reformat disks with non 512-byte
sectors. Adaptec 2940UWs also work well if you have a PeeCee nearby - they
have a reformat option in their BIOS. The problematic IBM firmware disk in
question (I'm the first guy :) had 512-byte sectors though.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/
mj at turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/