[rescue] rescuing an ailing U10...

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue Oct 2 06:27:41 CDT 2007

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 02:08:13 -0500 (CDT), Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> Platforms with more sophisticated firmware actually do need a
> prescribed on-disk layout, as you mentioned.  A survey of where that
> sort of thing breaks down by platform would be interesting.

Well don't quote me on this (i.e. I could well be wrong) but I think
Sun's firmware does a very similar thing to PC firmware ... just loads
the first few sectors off a disk. This secondary loader (ufsboot) does
the interpretation of the disk label and the loading of the kernel.

The principal of least astonishment dictates that you should always use
the default 'partitioning' method for the platform in question unless
you have a really good reason not to.