[rescue] rescuing an ailing U10...

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Tue Oct 2 01:12:21 CDT 2007

> Most Unixes don't actually use an MBR like Windows and Linux do.  They
> use a disklabel[0], which is similar in concept, but very different in
> implementation.

Yes, but the choice of primary partitioning scheme is usually dictated
by platform firmware, not OS. So, on PC, Linux uses MBR; on sparc, Linux
uses Sun disklabel; on SGI, SGI disklabel; on Mac, Mac partition table;
on Alpha, it uses OSF/1 disklabel, etc - just to be able to boot. The
only exception that I know is HP parisc-series - the LIF boot images are
simple and in fixed location independent of OS pasrtition table layout,
so any OS can choose any partition table layout. So HP/UX uses its own
LVM format and Linux uses PC partition tables since the code already
existed for it. There are probably some more exceptions but the
partition table layout is is mostly dictated by the firmware as long as
you want to boot from this drive.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)