[rescue] Should I buy a 12" G4 iBook?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 28 11:33:09 CST 2007

>From: Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk>
>Date: 2007/11/28 Wed AM 05:28:35 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Should I buy a 12" G4 iBook?

>On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 09:55:35AM +0200, Michael-John Turner wrote:
>[...]
>> Someone locally is selling a 1Ghz G4 iBook with 768MiB RAM and a 60GiB
>> disk for about ZAR 3,000 (about $440). Is it worth buying? I'm looking for
>> a light, portable notebook to carry around when I don't want to lug around
>> something too big and this may just fit the bill. Is it worthwhile still
>> spending money on PPC Macs or should I look elsewhere?
>
>It does compare quite favourably against the new Asus Eee on both spec and
>price. I would be very tempted were I offered one.
>
>PPC Macs work just fine unless you want to run Windows on them.

The Asus Eee is a very compromise-laden design to suit a particular market segment. The Eee is a low weight, low power, small design with minimal moving parts. A G4 iBook is an entirely different beast.

I'd prefer the iBook to the Eee for anything that involves fairly stationary computing - the Eee is really about being a tiny laptop for odd moments while in transit...

Lionel