[rescue] has anyone used >72GB drives in a 280R?

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Wed Nov 7 16:33:42 CST 2007

    On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Magnus wrote:

> Doug Simmons wrote:
>> Sun says that anything over 72gb in a 280r is an unsupported
>> configuration. But, is it a POSSIBLE unsupported configuration?
>
> I would expect it to work.  I've used higher capacity drives than
> that in older Suns than that.

    I'm in the process of testing an ANSI-standard buttload of
SCSI disks I've been accumulating at home on the only system
with available SCSI address space -- a SPARCstation 2.  I can
attest that 36 gig drives are recognised and work as far as
"format" is concerned -- and 36 gig drives weren't even in
existence when the SS2 (and SunOS 2.5.1, which the thing runs)
was created.

    Generally, "supported" configurations are never updated once
hardware is put into production; you're stuch with the technology
that was available at the time when they were first "certified".
This is not to say, however, that it won't work; most of the time
it will, some of the time it won't (viz the 1 gig limit on boot
disks for VAXstations).  Only testing will tell.