[rescue] Newbie question about IBM P5s (AIX)

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Thu May 31 04:01:51 CDT 2007

Clemson, Chris wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> We've just bought a IBM p5 510 with AIX already installed, and I'm stuck
> at the first hurdle.
> I have a console cable plugged in (nicked from a sun) which seems to
> work - pressing "1" to set the main console and using arrow keys in the
> menu work.
> However, going through the menus about date and time, root password etc
> (AIX is already installed), on my hyperterminal vt100 client, pressing
> esc-0 (which should enter the changed values) just seems to quit the
> menu system completely and then my console just sits there doing
> nothing.
> Has anyone had experience with setting these up, or can someone point me
> to a newbie guide?
> I've got the aix manuals on cd, but the documentation program seems
> buggy and a lot of links to pdfs are broken (this could be due to the
> program not using a proxy, but there's nothing I can find to check
> this).
> I've tried the ibm documentation sites, but there's so much on there
> it's difficult to know what to search for.
> Thanks!

On non-IBM terminals (including your HyperTerminal session), the
function-keys don't work, so it uses ESC-# instead.  So when you're
hitting ESC-0, you're sending F10, which is IBMese for "exit".  Try
ESC-4, which is F4 which is IBMese for "select from list".

The p510 is a pretty nice box.

Peace...  Sridhar