[rescue] What to do with a DEC Alpha 255

Scott Quinn compoobah at valleyimplants.com
Thu May 31 00:26:35 CDT 2007

> Ronald wrote:
>
> On 5/31/07, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
>> I agree with this.  Everything IBM that's not AIX or Linux is just
>> SO COMPLETELY ALIEN that it ends up being very enjoyable to learn
>> about
>> something from scratch with no preconceived notions.  It's fun to go
>> into something as a COMPLETE BEGINNER.
>
> I'd _LOVE_ to do this. Anyone got a spare mainframe, and a desire to
> edumacate a newbie? ;)
>
> RG

Hercules. http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules/

There's even a "turnkey" with MVS set up. If you do Herc, you don't
need to drive yourself crazy trying to find all the little IBM
proprietary bits you need to get it running.

There's somewhere on the 'net a multiple systems reference with UNIX,
VMS, OS/400 (i5/OS), VM/CMS and MVS all next to each other. Written for
an end user rather than a sysadmin, but it is a good start. Can't
recall what it is called, though.