[rescue] what to do with a dec alpha 255

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Wed May 30 21:37:38 CDT 2007

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Wed, 30 May 2007, stephen price wrote:
>
>> Cleaning out my last (gasp) offsite locker of "junk" - ran across a
>> dec alpha 255 desktop - was wondering if its worth keeping, if so -
>> what o/s (have tru64 4.0f-5.2) but no real need.  Maybe some other o/s
>> or maybe give it away.
>
> Use it for learning VMS.
>
> If you can be okay with VMS being very-much not Unix, it's a wonderful
> operating system in its own right.  Also, the stark differences in how
> it operates will give you a better feel for some things that you just
> took for granted while running Unix.

VMS is different in cool and interesting ways.  It had a versioning
filesystem HOW long ago....?

A friend of mine (now, sadly, deceased) once wrote a virus in DCL, just
to prove that it could be done.  He showed me the code on condition that
I did not distribute it.  It was brilliant in its sheer simplicity.

--
 It's not the years, it's the mileage.
 Phil Stracchino              phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220                Mobile: 603-320-5438