[rescue] Running an ultra 60 on its side

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed May 30 09:26:40 CDT 2007

>From: Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za>
>Date: 2007/05/30 Wed AM 06:41:44 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [rescue] Running an ultra 60 on its side

>Can an ultra 60 be run on its side?
>
>All the machines I've seen have a sticker on the case with a crossed-out
>picture of the machine on its side with a monitor on top.

That means don't put a monitor on the side (when you open the case, you'll see there is nothing to support the monitor except the sidepanel - horizontal SPARCs usually (as far as I've seen) have a metal support that crosses the middle of the chassis to help support the monitor...

>Is this to prevent the weight of the monitor breaking the plastic side,
>or is it for heat dispersal reasons (i.e.. foam blocks on lid channeling
>hot air out)?

Monitor weight, AFAIK.

>I've got a book shelf that unfortunately only has space for the machines
>sideways (great for U1s and U2s!).

Great - how many Ultra 2's should I send you ;^)

Lionel