[rescue] Amiga videos online for your enjoyment

Andy Wallis rawallis at panix.com
Thu May 24 11:44:37 CDT 2007

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 02:33:32AM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2007, Robert Brooke Gravitt wrote:
>
> >> They DO! Admit it! I dunno what it is, but Sun systems are mega
> >> slow in
> >> some regards.
> >
> > Spoken like a man who doesn't have to watch an RS/6000 system
> > ( p570 ) POST.

> ...which can take nearly an hour on a well-configured p570.  How nice of
> IBM to make it a default to power off the system when the last LPAR is
> brought down, too.  That way, even if the hardware you're moving around
> is all virtual, you get to watch a full reboot...and by the time it
> comes back up, you'll have forgotten to disable that little "feature".

The boot times have been a concern for us, so IBM had had to ship $WORK custom
firmware versions to allow for hyperbooting. Nobody likes having to wait 15
minutes for a p615 to boot up to AIX. That length of time would normally
kill any SLAs that we had to give our customer.

Simply put, certains sectors of the government do not like their displays
to be down for 15 minutes during updates, even if it is in the middle of night.

-Andy Wallis