[rescue] Amiga videos online for your enjoyment

Robert Brooke Gravitt gravitt at gmail.com
Thu May 24 07:12:19 CDT 2007

On May 24, 2007, at 3:33 AM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> ...which can take nearly an hour on a well-configured p570.  How
> nice of
> IBM to make it a default to power off the system when the last LPAR is
> brought down, too.  That way, even if the hardware you're moving
> around
> is all virtual, you get to watch a full reboot...and by the time it
> comes back up, you'll have forgotten to disable that little "feature".

Yup. We just re-purposed a p575 (scientific computing platform) for
server use, and bringing it up after the move will be fun. We have a
mixture of p570, p550, p650, and p630s in our current project farm.
That's for the project I run, anyway. The nice thing is that when the
DIMMs started failing on one of the p570s last week we knew about it
and had a new set installed. Took about an hour to go through BIST
and maybe 10 minutes for all the LPARs to be serving their applications.

I really miss having an RS/6000 on the desktop, but at least I have a
Solaris x86 desktop. As soon as I can get Lotus Notes working on
Solaris, I'll have no need for my IT-provided Windows desktop.