[rescue] VMS on the desktop

Steve Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Thu May 24 00:52:21 CDT 2007

John Floren wrote:

> You know what would be far better than recreating the Amiga on a PC?
> Porting VMS to PC. Somebody at HP get on that, get them to open up the
> old VAX sources or something.

Uhm, you do know that you can get OpenVMS for Itanic/Itanium, right?
There's an HP ZX2000 Itanic workstation on eBay with a reasonable
config for only US$1,000, and I'm pretty sure that'll run OpenVMS 8.x
out of the box.

How much you pay for that OpenVMS/I64 license is a different story...

But hey, you can always grab some flavor of AlphaStation and get the
hobbyist license for OpenVMS/Alpha from DFWLUG/Montagar for cheap. You
could run OpenVMS, Linux, FreeBSD, etc -- maybe even some flavor of
Windows if you wanted.

Hit www.OpenVMS.org for more info.

--S.