[rescue] OS X Hardware?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed May 23 15:30:09 CDT 2007

>From: Mark <md.benson at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/05/23 Wed PM 03:19:10 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [rescue] OS X Hardware?

>> OS X is nice, but locked to Apple hardware unless you run a
>> cracked copy, and even then I think it requires a pretty specific
>> set of
>> hardware.
>
>How specific is 'pretty specific'? It runs on every PowerPC and Intel
>Mac made from 2000 onwards currently (and that's only the 'official'
>support). I'd say that was a pretty lare selection, right from 20
>bucks to 10,000 bucks :)

There are what, about a dozen or so different Intel Mac models?

I think the assertion is that OS X supports a handful of IDE, SATA, SCSI, networing and video controllers - the ones Apple choose to use - there is no built-in support for anything Apple didn't ship, though some others may be compatible to operate with "incorrect" (or generic) drivers. This is, of course, in comparison to other, more mainstream OSs...

Lionel