[rescue] Commodore Pricing(PET era)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon May 21 17:41:30 CDT 2007

>From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
>Date: 2007/05/21 Mon PM 03:46:51 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Commodore Pricing(PET era)

>On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 03:44:11PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Currently reading "On The Edge" [0]
>> [0] http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Spectacular-Rise-Fall-Commodore/dp/0973864907/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-3609313-4308613?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179780187&sr=8-1
>> [1] Page 84 of the above book
>
>Or just www.commodorebook.com.  It's a *great* book, and I've re-read it
>three or four times.  Other than the weird
>random-italicization-of-company-names thing, and occasionally repetition of
>facts, it's well worth the purchase price.

So far, my frustration is that each chapter has a starting point, then it goes down a particular thread, then it snaps back to the begining point, nad follows another thread. I think I really wish the book had a more rigid organization, say one chapter about the 6502 CPU hardware, andother about the PET hardware development, PET software development, etc...

Also, I get annoyed everytime I see "Basic" where it should be BASIC (Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code), and the real trashing of Apple/Woz/Jobs - I suspect the reality is somewhere between the version in this book and the propoganda from Apple... The central character (Peddle) appears to have single-handedly saved Apple from ruination (he got their Apple 1 MB to work when Woz couldn't, etc.)...

I'm enjoying the book, but the structure is ab too ADHD for my tastes... (BTW, anyone else read Woz's book - he needed a stronger editor, IMHO - the book suffered from his ADHD, bouncing from topic to topic. There is a better book in Woz's book than the one I bought.)

Lionel