[rescue] fwd: Linux Foundation Prepares For Microsoft's Legal Action

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon May 21 15:03:08 CDT 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 08:46:10PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On a more concrete basis in a slightly earlier era, Apple IIs didn't
> take off in the UK because they were roughly B#1500 ($2500 in 1990
> prices) for a base configuration when the US price for a base
> configuration was roughly $1500 (those prices were very rough). As a
> consequence, the Apple II was hardly visible in the UK market where the
> homegrown Acorn micros were all over the place.
>
> Whilst Commodore was a US company they figured out how to do reasonable
> European prices.

They may also have been taxed to death. England had it's own computer
industry and may have had large protective tariffs on computers.
I'm not sure where the Amiga was actually made for the U.S. market,
but I do know that some were made in the E.U. possibly Ireland.

Here, the taxes on computers during that time was about 250%.

BTW< it also went both ways. A friend of mine used to import Hornby model
trains to the U.S. He had his mother buy the at retail prices in England, and
mail them to him via surface mail. He sold them at train shows for
twice his cost and was still far cheaper than anyone else.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838