[rescue] Cleaning dirty systems?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon May 21 10:18:14 CDT 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 10:10:10AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
[...]
> Even though I've brushed-and-airdusted as much off and out of the Amiga
> systems as I can, I still feel *filthy* after working with them for a
> while; it's like the dirt and dust are just embedded in the parts.

When I bought a filthy G4 Mac, I stripped it down completely and then
drenched it - including the motherboard - in foam cleanser and left the bits
to drain onto an old towel. The stuff I've got appears to be slightly
conductive, so don't reassemble or power it back up until it's all
evaporated. That usually takes about three days in the UK.

Fans, hard disks, and optical drives aren't really cleanable like this, but
they're usually old and knackered and candidates for being thrown away and
replaced with new parts anyway.