[rescue] fwd: Linux Foundation Prepares For Microsoft's Legal Action

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Mon May 21 09:07:18 CDT 2007

> I want something I can learn inside and out for projects, and they have more
> than enough power for most.

Dude. The new hotness is microcontrollers. PICs, Atmel AVR, etc.

A friend brought over a project... someone else wrote it. PIC
microcontroller, and very few other components... directly generating NTSC
composite video showing a digital logic analyzer application, and it used
a PS/2 keyboard wired to some IO pins. Oh, and I think the $12 PIC chip
can actually drive 8 NTSC outputs simultanously. It has 8 cores or
something.

Stuff is crazy powerful. And low cost.

Microchip has a $4 microcontroller that has on board 10mbps ethernet, and
the dev kit has a linkable web server and stuff. Dude said the ethernet
jack was more than the CPU.