[rescue] Amigas arrived

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri May 18 11:58:46 CDT 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 08:11:51AM -0400, Brian Wheeler wrote:
[...]
> Now if I could just find a set of roms for my A2091 that let me hook up
> more than one SCSI device without it hanging I'd give AMIX a shot!

That is because earlier ROMs attempt to read the RDB (partition table,
amongst other things) even from non-disk devices and will continue to poll
the device until you insert a CD or whatever.

There is a workaround, however. There is a flag in the RDB that says that
this is the last LUN on the SCSI ID, or the last SCSI device on the bus. So
you should renumber your devices so that all of your disks have a lower ID
than non-disk devices and then set this flag. I now habitually number disks
up from 0 and non-disks down from 6 as a result of this "feature".

To set the highest-disk flag, power-down and/or disconnect the non-disk
devices so that the A2091 doesn't try to scan them and boot the system. Run
HDToolbox and re-save the partition table on your highest-numbered disk. Now
you can turn on the non-disk devices and they should work after the next
reboot.

You can also use this trick to hide disks larger than 4GB from AmigaOS that
you were only going to use under Unix.