[rescue] fwd: Linux Foundation Prepares For Microsoft's Legal Action

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri May 18 07:27:55 CDT 2007

>From: Michael Vergallen <mvergall at telenet.be>
>Date: 2007/05/18 Fri AM 01:50:29 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] fwd: Linux Foundation Prepares For Microsoft's Legal Action

>Erie Patsellis wrote:
> > Hmmm,
> > Is it me or could xerox make the same claim against M$ for the
>windows UI?
>
>Good point never really thought about it until you mentioned it...but
>then they could do the same with any GUI system...

<snip>

I don't think Xerox would have a leg to stand on - AFAIK Xerox nerver did anything to protect it's invention, and it quietly sat by while others employed technologies similar to their own. Also, AFAIK Xerox never did anything to document ownership of GUI...

Besides, if they did, Doug Engelbart could go after Xerox, since he first demonstrated GUI work in 1968:

http://sloan.stanford.edu/mousesite/1968Demo.html

Lionel