[rescue] Finding older memory chips

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Fri May 11 14:43:56 CDT 2007

On 11 May 2007, at 10:40, Paxton wrote:

> It looks like an 8 meg (no parity) memory card when fully populated
> and looks like the card has 2/4/6/8 MB RAM printed on it.

It's worth bearing in mind that the Zorro II Memory space is limited
to a maximum of 8MB on all cards, including RTG (VGA graphics) cards,
SCSI cards and Memory expansions. If you add something like a GVP
2000 HC+8 (or similar) then you will run into conflicts with other
Zorro RAM expansions, and the RAM is better on the SCSI card as it
can use it to load to Fast RAM directly, rather than having to go
across the Zorro II bus.

You're best bet if you want to expand the RAM is to hunt down a Fast
Slot RAM expansion, these are not limited as they are attached
directly t o the 68k CPU bus, and they are also faster. Of course if
you are a lucky soul like me you have a 68040 accelerator with 32MB
of Fast RAM stuffed in the Fast Slot :)

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: